9 Best Tarot Books to Learn How to Read Tarot Cards

May 2024 · 2 minute read

When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

While growing in popularity, tarot is often misunderstood because it's often portrayed in pop culture as a form of predicting the future (with a tendency towards the ominous). But that's not an accurate depiction: In fact, reading tarot cards can be a way to connect to your higher self or intuition.

"The tarot doesn't tell you what is going to happen — it isn't about taking away your agency — it outlines possibilities so you can take the actions you know can help bring about the future you want," says Mark Horn, author of "Tarot and the Gates of Light, A Kabbalistic Path to Liberation," who has taught at tarot conferences across the US and offers private readings and classes.

If you're interested in reading tarot, one way to learn is by picking up some books to start. "Long before I learned tarot with a teacher, I started my journey with tarot books," says Horn. "You can learn at your own pace, review when you need to, and it's a lot less expensive to have three or four books from experts who can give you a range of thinking about the cards." 

Plus, "[books are] also helpful for those times when you get stuck, something many new readers experience a lot — psst…even seasoned pros have those moments!," says Theresa Reed ("The Tarot Lady"), a professional Tarot card reader, podcast host, and author of "Twist Your Fate: Manifest Success with Astrology and Tarot" and "Tarot: No Questions Asked – Mastering  the Art of Intuitive Reading." "I do recommend having more than one tarot book. This way, you have different points of view, which can broaden your interpretative skills." 

Even professional readers continue to buy and use tarot books to expand their knowledge. "I've been reading cards for more than 50 years now and I continue to buy tarot books," says Horn. "In some ways, tarot is like a jewel with many facets — each book, each teacher will give you another facet with beautiful insights."

Whether you're a true tarot beginner or already own multiple tarot decks, we have book recommendations for all skill levels, according to professional tarot readers.

The 9 best books for learning to read tarot cards:

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7o8HSoqWeq6Oeu7S1w56pZ5ufonyowcidnKxnnJqus7rIp55ompWowW7AwKumrWWSpLysvw%3D%3D